International Blind Sports Federation
Executive Director, International Blind Sports Federation,
(Application deadline –August 28th, 2017)
The International Blind Sports Federation, (IBSA), is an international not-for-profit, sports organization representing the interests of athletes who are blind and visually impaired in international sports. It is also responsible for the oversight of three Paralympic sports and provides opportunities for blind and partially sighted athletes to compete in several others.
IBSA is currently overseen by an Executive Board consisting of the President, Vice-President, Secretary-General, Treasurer, Sports Director, Medical Director, five Regional Representatives and four Members-at-Large.
IBSA’s Vision is of a world in which people who are blind or partially sighted can fulfill their goals and dreams through sport for life. IBSA’s mission is to advocate an active way of life by providing opportunities for our members to organize and take part in sporting activities. We do this by demonstrating organizational leadership and by sharing the skills necessary to empower and support our members.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished executive/business leader with a proven ability and record of success in a growth-oriented sports organization and/or business. He/she will have had experience in business management, including growing revenue, managing a staff of professionals and working productively with a strong, diverse board of directors. He/she will be a passionate, responsive, diplomatic, and collaborative leader.
The candidate must possess excellent communication skills and must be skilled at building consensus, issue management and dispute resolution. An ideal candidate will have shown an ability to work effectively with the board of directors and across a complex, diverse and at times, a politically charged volunteer organization.
It is ideal that the candidate is either someone who has a history within sport, and or the blindness field. The candidate also should have some experience in sports marketing and media/ sponsorship in order to meet the goals of elevating the IBSA brand and grow its economic base.
An ideal candidate is action oriented and can inspire and energize others around him/her. This individual must respect and be highly respected.
The candidate must be willing and able to build a culture of "for athletes." The individual is a leader and a good follower when necessary, as well as a person with integrity who inspires loyalty and trust. She/he must be able to both influence and energize people and teams. He/she must have a demonstrated ability as a consensus builder to achieve co-operation among individuals, regions and organizations with competing priorities. The candidate must possess the intellect and executive presence to communicate the vision, set a concrete strategy and can contribute to broader sports conversations beyond their functional expertise.
Reporting directly to IBSA’s President, the Executive Director will have the following job responsibilities and requirements:
- Overall operational and financial management of IBSA including human resources, financial and budget monitoring while reporting organizational performance.
- Development of the 3 major IBSA sports of Goalball, Judo and Five-a-Side Football on the International Paralympic program.
- With the assistance of the IBSA Executive Board and IBSA’s sports committees, create and implement a 4-year sports plan with specific measurable objectives.
- Responsible for the final preparation of the master schedule of administrative and athletic events.
- Negotiate the scheduling of events involving international participation including regional competitions and IBSA World Games and Championships.
- Develop and implement an annual fundraising plan.
- Secure necessary revenue to support budget which goes beyond membership fees to include sponsorship and fund raising mechanisms to continually seek increased financial resources for the organization.
- Provide strong leadership for the organization by being a vocal and political savvy spokesperson for IBSA and an accessible and positive force in the international community.
- Support communicate and manage with the IBSA Executive Board, the IBSA Management Committee and other IBSA committees to accomplish operational priorities.
- Provide organizational, planning and implementation support for IBSA’s General Assemblies of members.
- Maintain ongoing contact with the President and other Executive Board members, providing support and advice as required.
- Develop and implement a healthy and robust membership and growth strategy for IBSA in cooperation with the Secretary General.
- Ensure adherence to all IBSA policies, positions and procedures as well as the provisions of the IBSA Constitution and bylaws, providing advice and input regarding these as appropriate.
- Coordinate all aspects of communications, including publications, social media and the IBSA website, ensuring that communications to the membership and the public are provided in a timely and efficient manner in English.
- Liaise with external partners and represent IBSA as appropriate and as requested by the President and board.
- Perform those other such duties as deemed appropriate by the IBSA Executive Committee.
- Post-secondary education in a related field.
- At least five years’ relevant management experience, (a background in business management, sports administration or related field is preferred).
- Must have an ability to travel independently at the international level and with reasonable frequency.
- Must be an independent worker who can work to the President’s and Board’s requirements, taking advice as well as providing advice.
- Can demonstrate organizational, administrative and financial expertise at a senior management level.
- Can demonstrate experience in leading volunteer teams of sports managers who are in other parts of the world.
- Can demonstrate skills in research, information and data/results collection and presentation in both written and verbal form.
- Must have excellent skills in oral and written communication, analytical thinking, strategic thinking, leadership and proficiency in using Skype, email, and word processing programs.
- Can demonstrate experience and understanding of the sports and disability sectors and environments and the ways in which a world-wide movement operates.
- Can demonstrate a sound knowledge of blindness issues emanating from different demographics including cultures, income levels and geographic locations.
- Can demonstrate experience in working with governance boards and committees.
- Experience in strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Is comfortable both with providing high level direction and support as well as hands-on implementation and delivery.
- Fluency in English is essential.
Applicants should include a detailed curriculum vitae; the names and contact details of three (3) referees (which will only be contacted if the applicant is being considered for an interview and he/she will be notified of this in advance). We also request a cover letter indicating interest in and suitability for the position. All applications must be submitted in English and must be submitted electronically in MS Word format only. Applications that have inaccessible attachments will be rejected.
Individuals with blindness or partial sight are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and references to IBSA President, Jannie Hammershøi.
by 28 August 2017.
IBSA will offer the successful candidate a competitive compensation package.